From Reality to Reality

Pages

About

Intagram

Shop

11/25/15

Happy Turkey Day, all you Turkeys!


You know I mean that in the most loving way! I know it's a day early, but that's ok. I enjoy the holidays so much because it gives us all a chance to show how much we care about and love and support our friends and family – and I include YOU all in that group. My life is so much richer since I became a TV personality and extended my circle of acquaintances to all the borders of the United States and beyond!


When we came to the U.S., I was just 10 years old, and my sister Larissa was only 5. I would like to say that everything back then was happy and a bed of roses, but we know life isn’t really like that no matter how much we want it to be. It was, to be very honest a great challenge of all challenges. I was a great big cry baby, I missed my family and friends in Brazil SOOOO much. :/ Ask Lari. She knows how much I cried – I can be a princess sometimes, and that was definitely one of those times as much as I hate to admit it. But I had a good excuse, no???? Coming to a completely new country, where even the climate is odd (read: COLD!) and the people have a culture that is so DIFFERENT from what you are used to… that is just HARD!

I’m not complaining, I’m only saying that it was one of the biggest trials in my family’s lives. Most of all, the language barrier was difficult. It was like a gargantuan brick wall standing in front of us … standing between us and what we wanted to accomplish in our new country and between us and a sense of comfort and security that we knew we would have someday.

Before we could reach that state of comfort, though, we knew we would have to WORK at it. We had hurdles to overcome, as we all do. Our vision of a happy and wonderful life was in our minds so clearly, and we just needed to keep pushing forward to reach it.

Coming to a new country is filled with blessings, too. We were able to be with members of our family we hadn’t really known before. We were able to see the “shining city on the hill”—the United States of America where everyone is welcome… the “huddled masses.” We did feel and appreciate the positive side of being in this new country, and when I think back on it I can’t forget all the people who were so caring and helpful to us.

Someday, now that I’ve become comfortable in my new country, I would like to help others get through the difficult time of transition when they come here. Maybe that would be a good subject for a blog in the future.

But for now, with Thanksgiving 2015 in the here and now, I want to focus on the blessings in my life today.

  • I am thankful for the blessing of my loving and faithful family both here and in Brazil!


  • I am thankful for my sister, who has always been my other half, but now is even more close after competing together on TV – Lari, I am not with you this year for Thanksgiving, but I am thinking of you and my heart is reaching out to you – you’ll feel it when you think of me


  • I am grateful for my good health and the joys of staying healthy, in part thanks to my invaluable friend and trainer, Vida, and her gym in Lincoln, Nebraska – the SwetZone (you cannot go wrong if you live in her area and need help with fitness training … go to SwetZone.com)


  • I am extremely grateful for ALL of my sponsors – they have helped me build a career, showcasing the very best (and coolest) of fashion, food, fitness, cosmetics, nutrition, travel and so much more


  • I cannot tell you how humbled and grateful I am to have had the privilege of competing on television and getting to know all of you – it felt strange at first to have “fans”, but I am getting used to it, and I promise you now with all of my heart I will never take you for granted.

What are YOU thankful for this week? If you care to, I hope you’ll leave a comment and share your thoughts about gratitude and thankfulness this special holiday season.

After all, it is the things we are thankful for that make us who we are – more even than the things that are difficult and scary and bad in our lives. Difficulty may make us strong, but our gratitude choices make us who we are.
“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” --Robert Brault

That’s all for now, my very special friends. Go forth and gobble down some turkey and be with your families (or friends), and don’t forget to focus on the little things that mean the most in your lives.

Love y'all!

Xx, Camila

1 comment: